Grease trap cleaning is every food service’s nightmare. However, it is necessary to clean the grease trap after every week and not more than two weeks. They can cause a lot of problems if ignored attending to.
Food services like restaurants etc. have grease trap installed in their kitchens so as to separate the oil, fat and grease etc. from the water in one container and letting the water flow by through any other container. This gesture is good but if not taken care of properly then it will prove to be a huge problem. Usually the drain cleaning services are required for grease trap cleaning but you cannot call them every week so it is better to learn how to do so yourself.
Grease trap cleaning guide
For grease trap cleaning, you will need the following things:
- Something to cover yourself with
- Soap, cloth and water
- Gloves and mask
The gloves and mask are supposed to be worn properly when about to clean a grease trap. The drain cleaning services also instructs people firmly to do so. And trust me you’ll be thankful for wearing them once you start working. They are supposed to protect your skin and prevent from germs attacking you.
Either cover yourself with something or discard the clothes you were wearing after you clean.
Crowbar And Scrapper
Each needed for opening and cleaning purposes
Soap, Cloth And Water
To wash it afterwards.
- First remove the lid carefully with a crowbar. Be extremely careful because they contain bars which if broken then needs to be replaced. Examine the grease trap properly before starting cleaning as you would have to put them all together too.
- If there is water present in the grease trap, then first discard the water by with letting it flow or soak it up.
- Remove the necessary parts and start scrapping with the help of a scrapper. Do not use soap or water to clean it up as it will ruin the grease trap simply scrap out the solidified grease and oils.
- After you’re done then clean it thoroughly with soap and water.
- Put all the parts back as they were before.
- Pour water and check if it flows properly. If it does then your work is done and if it doesn’t then that means the grease has clogged the pipes, you will need a drain cleaning service for that.
- Put the lid back and close it.
- Your grease trap is cleaned without a major hassle.
It is true that the grease trap proves to be a major pain in the neck if not tended too on time. The solidified grease finds its way towards the bottom of the pipes and creates a bigger problem which sometimes require replacing the entire system. To avoid such huge problems, you must clean the grease trap every week. Do not delay it for longer than two weeks as the more grease accumulates, the more difficult it becomes. Also by cleaning it every week, you can save the money you were about to spend upon the drain cleaning service NY!